My Dad used his bike for transportation, but I use it mostly for weekend fun, so I don't need (or want) the big fairing on the front, and I decided to take it off. The process was a little bit involved because the fairing incorporates the headlight and turn signals so there was some wiring to be undone, but overall it went pretty well.
40-year-old bikes sure have simpler wiring than modern ones!
The fairing gets its headlight and turnsignal signals from an "umbilical" cord that's patched into the wiring inside the headlight.
The turn signals are patched to the "umbilical" cord externally.
The headlight reflector is held into the ring using a very clever system of bent wires.
The headlight that's builtin to the fairing uses the headlight connector and parking light socket from the bike's original headlight.
Brown: ground, white: high beam, yellow: low beam.
Doesn't look like progress but the "umbilical" cord is gone.
The turn signal stems will have to be cleaned up (since they provide ground) and the wires routed back through the tubes.
That's it for tonight...
I think the Duc likes having a German pal.
Sunday morning, and I've got the headlight plug connected and one turn signal housing dry-fit.
D'oh! I broke the other housing. Pro-tip: don't hit pot metal with a hammer.
Let's try superglue.
Looking pretty good, with the headlight back in, and one signal wired up.
I think we're ready to go.
Needs some gentle cleaning to get rid of the adhesive residue.